Steps to a Healthier Smile | Costa Rica Full Mouth RestorationJanuary 16, 2019
Best Foods for Healthy Teeth According to Costa Rica Dental CareJanuary 29, 2019
Saliva is a crucial part of the oral health system. It has a number of positive effects on your teeth and gum health. Dry mouth is caused by a hindrance in the production of saliva, which leaves your mouth feeling dry and sticky. Dry mouth can make it harder to swallow, chew, taste, and speak. It is really important to receive dental treatment in Costa Rica by Sonria Dental Boutique to curb the adverse effects of dry mouth.
What Causes Dry Mouth? | Dental Treatment in Costa Rica
Dry mouth has symptoms like dry throat, cracked lips, dry or rough tongue, burning sensation in the mouth, and signs of an infection in the mouth. If you leave dry mouth untreated, it can actually increase tooth decay and other oral diseases. The most common causes of dry mouth include:
- Medications: Medications can hinder the production of saliva, causing dry mouth. Over 400 different medications, especially for depression and high blood pressure, can cause dry mouth. As you age, your intake of medication also increases, which can boost the chances of dry mouth. It is vital to seek dental treatment in Costa Rica to curb the effects of this problem.
- Diseases: Medical issues like Parkinson’s diseases, diabetes, and HIV/AIDs cause a decrease in saliva production.
- Cancer Treatments: Radiation can cause damage to the salivary glands. Chemotherapy also causes saliva to thicken, which can make the mouth feel dry.
- Nerve Damage: Any injury to the neck, head, or spine can cause nerve damage. This can interfere with the signals to the salivary glands.
Dental Treatment in Costa Rica for Dry Mouth
There are multiple things you can do to curb the effects of dry mouth:
- Water intake: Increasing the water intake can maintain the pH level of the mouth, which is the primary job of saliva. It can also wash away food particles that accumulate due to lack of saliva. Sipping water regularly after intervals can decrease harmful bacteria and plaque.
- Chewing sugarless gum: This can increase the flow of saliva since chewing signals the brain to increase saliva production. You can also suck on sugarless hard candies to achieve the same effect.
- Humidifier: Make sure that you turn on the humidifier at night so that the room isn’t too dry.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco: All of these items decrease the production of saliva and cause all sorts of oral damage.
Dental treatment in Costa Rica: Seeking help from experts like Sonria Dental Boutique can really boost your oral health. The dental experts can treat dry mouth by recommending a change in medication or analyzing your oral habits.